We stayed a couple of days at the island of Åmøy for a coding retreat and to have some fun.
We have a number of contributions accepted at this year’s SIGIR conference.
- EntiTables: Smart Assistance for Entity-Focused Tables (full paper) by S. Zhang and K. Balog
- Dynamic Factual Summaries for Entity Cards (full paper) by F. Hasibi, K. Balog, and S. E. Bratsberg
- Target Type Identification for Entity-Bearing Queries (short paper) by D. Garigliotti, F. Hasibi, and K. Balog
- Generating Query Suggestions to Support Task-Based Search (short paper) by D. Garigliotti and K. Balog
- DBpedia-Entity v2: A Test Collection for Entity Search (resource paper) by F. Hasibi, F. Nikolaev, C. Xiong, K. Balog, S. E. Bratsberg, A. Kotov, and J. Callan
- Nordlys: A Toolkit for Entity-Oriented and Semantic Search (demo paper) by F. Hasibi, K. Balog, D. Garigliotti, and S. Zhang
See you in Japan 😉
This week, we are presenting two papers at the 39th European Conference on Information Retrieval (ECIR ’17) in Aberdeen, Scotland UK.
Maarten de Rijke from the University of Amsterdam visits us on March 13-14. Maarten also gives a public talk at UiS.
Earlier this week, we have presented two papers at the Tenth ACM International Conference on Web Search and Data Mining (WSDM ’17) in Cambridge, UK.
At the department’s annual Christmas party, Krisztian Balog was presented with the prestigious “Årets IDE-er” (“Employee of the department”) award.
Heng Ding from Wuhan University, China will spend 14 months with us as a visiting PhD student. Heng will work on question answering over structured data.
Full paper “Entity Linking in Queries: Efficiency vs. Effectiveness” by Faegheh Hasibi, Krisztian Balog, and Svein Erik Bratsberg, and short paper “Design Patterns for Fusion-Based Object Retrieval” by Shuo Zhang and Krisztian Balog got accepted at ECIR 2017.
We had a project seminar in Trondheim, preceded by some team building activity near Røros.